Home of Boston DJ Paul Dailey

Blog Archive

Over the years I have had several blogs….and have usually lost interest at some point and let them go by the wayside.  With this new site, i am able to repost some of my original blog posts and consolidate all of that information in one place.

As for new thoughts and blog ideas, those will go on the home page – but archived and older blog posts, will be posted below.

7 comments on “Blog Archive

  1. pauldailey
    September 3, 2009

    WMC 2007 – Technology Gone Bad….

    First off, this is less a review and more of a rant – so if you don’t want to hear me complain, read this first paragraph or two and then move on.As usual WMC was a great time. Weather was a bit rainy at times, but sunny for long bits everyday and warm – with no humidity. Truly the prefect break from the cold, unpredictable weather up north.

    We stayed in THE NICEST room I have ever seen in Miami – on the 18th floor of the Loews. It was overpriced, the staff sucked (and always had their hand out looking for something), but the views from our room were unstoppable. Best view on South Beach by a long shot and the after parties there were priceless.

    I had the privilege of eating dinner at Emeril’s, riding around Miami Harbor on an private yacht, and playing the closing set at a BRILLIANT “Sullivan Room WMC 2007” party at SIN.

    But my review this year is more of a rant, a rant about technology…and how forward is only forward, when you are actually improving on what has come before you.

    Case in point. Friday night at BED featured Martin Buttrich, Locodice and Steve Bug…a trio that I was stoked to see for months. We reserved a “bed” many months ago – and were ready to drop some serious bank to be in the club that has consistently produced my best WMC experiences over the years.

    We got in at 12:45 and were told that even though we were about to spend $1000+ between 3 people, we would still have to pay a cover charge. I told them I was a writer and was on the list…they still would only comp me, and my friends had to pay. Now I understand that MADE Events make no money off the bar…and BED makes no money off the door…but work shit out people. It is BS to pay so much money to party some place and still be expected to pay cover. Completely unrelated to the rest of this post, but still Strike Number One.

    Go in get settled and get down to getting our buzz on. Locodice is playing and the beats are deep and funky. The vibe is building very slowly, but everyone is smiling and having fun. As his set ends – the music stops for 30 seconds or so and the lights go up – signifying he is done. Ok..fine. Killing the vibe at 2 a.m. is completely offensive, but whatever – get back to it.

    Martin Buttrich jumps on – except for one problem – he is playing a 100% Abelton set – WITH HIS BACK TO THE CROWD. The volume is too low and since he has he back to the monitors – he doesn’t realize this for 10 minutes. The vibe is sucked out of the room and everyone is just looking at each other…asking who the fuck is DJing? We finally realize it is the guy in the back with his back to us all…which is fine, but his set goes no where and sounds like a guy who isn’t watching his crowd. GO FIGURE. Strike Number Two.

    One uneventful hour later, Steve Bug steps up – but his lap top isn’t hooked up properly. This is probably due to the fact that he played multiple sets that same night and just showed up 10 minutes beforehand. He has no clue what the vibe was for the last 5 hours – and has no one helping him get set up. We get 5 minutes of very low volume – 20 seconds of NO VOLUME – 20 seconds of feedback hum – and no explanation of what is going on. Half the crowd and all of the vibe leaves the room, and we are left to look on in utter disbelief.

    Finally, Steve gets shit worked out – and starts his set – a set that begins with less energy than Locodice left us with more than an hour ago. He finally is able to resurrect the vibe by around 4 and the last hour is on point for the most part. But unfortunately at this point, the damage has been done. Strike Three.

    There are two different issues at work here – and both, unfortunately, are a reflection of where things are at WMC – circa 2007.

    POINT #1 – Parties are Disposable CommoditiesDJs playing multiple events during WMC isn’t something new, but people playing 2 or 3 shows EVERY DAY – is just overdone and uncalled for. It means you are only in the room for 10 minutes (if you are lucky) before you play – and you have no clue what happened before you. I went to several parties and heard the same record twice in an hour – from a new DJ, that just walked in 2 minutes before his set.

    So we pay $30 to $80 dollars to get into a party – and then get to hear disparate, unrelated, individualistic DJ sets that last 1 hour and then STOP COLD…leaving the DJ time to feel important and get the accolades he thinks he deserves. Every hour or two, the vibe is destroyed and it takes ¾ of the next set to get it back…only to have it destroyed again, shortly thereafter. For the amount it costs to go to a party in Miami – this is wrong.

    Next year, give me Danny Tenaglia or Carl Cox for 5 hours – over 5 shit heads doing 5 one hour sets.

    POINT #2 – Technology Only Makes Sense If It Improves Things

    Using programs like Abelton, Scratch Live and Final Scratch only make sense if THEY WORK. If we need to endure 2 minutes of DEAD AIR every time a new DJ steps up – then something is wrong. Sure vinyl is old technology – but when one vinyl DJs plays after another, there is NO STOPPAGE and the vibe continues. I don’t know who sets this shit up from a technical stand point – but if your playback devise requires you to STOP THE MUISC every time a new DJs starts – then you need to examine how you are doing things.

    Buy an extra scratch amp and have a sound man hook it up ahead of time or book just one event a night so you know the booth is ready to go. Whatever you have to do, DO IT – because when you have 500 people spending $500 each (with cover, drinks, favors etc) to hear you – THEY SHOULD NOT GET DEAD FUCKING AIR in the middle of the night. That is unprofessional and total BS – and something that wouldn’t even happen at a local bar or karaoke lounge. Inexcusable for WMC.

    In spite of this rant – I will be back. I love Miami, love seeing my friends from all over the world that I ONLY see once a year at WMC, and I love playing at events in front of uber educated people.

    But when I am not working, I want to be entertained – not aggravated.

  2. pauldailey
    September 3, 2009

    Everybody Have Fun Tonight…Everybody Fung Wah Tonight

    Heading down to New York City yet again, this time to play with Claude Von Stroke (aka Barclay Crenshaw), one of the hottest producers in the world of EDM at the moment at Sullivan Room in the Village.

    From the moment this gig was confirmed, it had a weird aurora around it and I wasn’t quite sure how it would all turn out. In the end, it was fine…but fine and my gigs in NYC are not usually terms that go together. I usually have a horrible gig….or one that is completely fantastic. This time, the gig was “fine.”

    Instead of flying (which has become quite a pain in the ass lately) or driving down with Cooch (my regular partner in crime), I ended up taking the bus from Boston. My buddy Mark Cox and I contemplated the Chinatown express (Fung Wah), but since they just recently had a bus with 40+ people on it FLIP OVER…we were thinking the extra $10 dollars for Greyhound made sense. We got to South Station for 1 pm. and boarded the coach for a 4.5 hour trek.

    The ride down was very uneventful, quick even, until we got to NYC and hit a wall of traffic on 95 in the Bronx. We jumped off and tried to cut across the island, rolling through Harlem and the Upper East Side. Took us ONE HOUR to get from 112th street to 40th street. Got off, got our bags and headed to our hotel down in the Wall Street section of Manhattan.

    The Holiday Inn Wall Street is more of a business hotel, but the amenities were great, the room was pretty big (by NYC standards) and they had an ironing board, computer with high speed access, mini bar, safe etc all in the room. For $150 dollars (Priceline) this was a great deal. We basically dropped out stuff and started walking up town.

    We walked through Chinatown, crossing the ever colorful Canal Street. We walked up through Tribecca, and stopped at the Tribecca Café for a few beers and a bite to eat. After that we proceeded to walk to Greenwich Village, and hit two more bars. Every place was crowded and the weather was very warm for late September.

    At 10 p.m. and more than 4 miles of walking later, we hailed a cab back to the hotel. The cab was a mini-van and so it was harder to see the driver, but he was breaking hard in the middle of intersection after intersection, and not really taking us where we wanted to go. As Mark leaned into the front to ask what he was up to, we realized that he was actually falling asleep at the wheel, waking up, and then dozing off again. Needless to say we got out (in the middle of nowhere on the East Side) and didn’t pay the fare. We then walked another mile (with a 12 pack of beer in tow) till we found another cab to take us back.

    We left the hotel around 12:30 and headed to Sullivan Room to meet up with my friends Amos and Angel. Lisa was sick, Scotty B didn’t call back, Rich and Brianna couldn’t come out as he had to work at 8 a.m. on Sunday. Ryan didn’t call back, Jim T was going to Carl Cox vs. Danny Tenaglia at Pacha, and most of my other friends were not around. This was a bad sign, and I knew it would still be a fun night…but not like most nights when I visit NYC – when I am surrounded by great friends. Oh well, the show must go on.

    Elon and Jen run the night where I was playing at Sullivan Room, and are great hosts. They welcomed me warmly and hit me up with some drink tickets. I heard Elon play for a bit and then Claude Vonstroke got on the decks.

    One thing I can say about Claude is that (like a good politician), he is always “on message” with his music. What that means to me is he has a sound, and he sticks to that sound…never swaying far from what he is known for. That can be good and bad, but you can be sure that he will never disappoint the people that come expecting to hear music like the tracks he produces. The first hour was really great, with a ton of energy and one booming, electrified bassline after another…but honestly, after 60 minutes of it, I really wanted to hear something else.

    I have played at Sullivan Room 6 times at least, and have never had trouble getting people into my sets. This time, was much more difficult. I got on at 4 a.m. and about 5 minutes later they shut the liquor….and lost about 50% of the already thin crowd. 45 minutes later, I was playing for less than 10 people, and they started bringing the lights up. While I love coming to NYC under any circumstances, it is too far to travel to play for 45 minutes and no crowd.

    We left and headed back to the hotel to relax and get some sleep. Didn’t hit the pillow until around 7 am and slept till 12. We changed, packed and got up to the Port Authority in time to catch the 2 p.m. bus to Boston. Got back to South Station and 6:30 and got home to my apartment by 7. Another LONG 36 hours.

    As usual, NYC is a great place and I really love hanging out and playing there. Hope next time, Serg is in town, more of my friends make it out, and I am able to play a prime time set. Until then…

  3. pauldailey
    September 3, 2009

    T Dot – What A Spot (originally published 5.15.06)

    Headed up to Toronto to finally meet my friends Julia and Kim from Kick Magazine and hang out in what has become one of my favorite places. I have been freelancing for Kick Magazine for about a year now, yet have never had the opportunity to meet Julia (the editor) or any of the other Kick staff. Working with Julia and mutual friend, Greg Gow, I was able to arrange this trip north of the border.

    I arrived at Pearson International Airport and had a bit of trouble at the border. Although no one asked to check my bags (full of records), they did ask me about 20 different questions and stamped my passport twice. After that I picked up my luggage and met up with Brandon, the promoter for the event, and a really great guy. They dropped me off at my hotel right off Yonge Street and we made plans to meet up later at the club.

    I plopped down my bags and hit the street, eager to take in this beautiful, sunny, May afternoon. I walked down Yonge, and hit up the truly massive Eaton Center shopping mall, complete with 50 foot high ceilings and impressive, glass loon sculptures hanging from the roof. I really want in the mood to be a) inside and b) shopping at places like the Gap and Express…so I headed outside and continued down Yonge towards Queen Street.

    Queen Street is a beautiful thoroughfare with old school street cars, wonderfully eclectic shops and restaurants and the XX gardens. I walked all the way to Queen Street West, south of Spadina to see my friend Noah Pred at Moog Audio. We chatted for a bit, made some plans for dinner at Korean restaurant and parted ways. I wanted to see what Toronto featured for record shops, and while I really didn’t need anything, I still went on the look out. I started at 2 The Beat, a really well stocked shop on Spadina Avenue. Located in the basement, I headed down and found a great selection of music – including techno, albeit most of it was of the hard, acid variety – including racks and racks of tracks from Dave the Drummer, Chris Liberator, ANT and the like. I later found out that they were all personal friends with Dave, Chris etc…and that was the style most of the customers preferred. Fair play to them, but nothing that piqued my fancy.

    I left and walked back up to Youge Street, then back up to my hotel on Carlton. I grabbed a cup of coffee at Tim Horton’s (the Toronto equivalent of Dunkin Donuts) and headed back to catch a few winks.

    Around 9 p.m., Julia and Kim showed up to get me and we drove to a great Korean restaurant in Korea Town (and right across the street from Clintons’) on Bloor Street West. We had a great meal (much of which Julia and I cooked ourselves on the grill in the center of our table, and enjoyed the company of Noah and his girlfriend (so sorry I can’t recall her name), Julia, Kim and a great techno producer and nicer guy, Arthur Oskan. After dinner, we literally rolled my records across the street and headed to the gig.

    The club was small, on the scale of the Phoenix Landing and more set up for live music, like Metronome in Burlington, VT. The crowd was thin, but the sound was good and Brandon was laying down a nice, smooth opening set. I took to the decks around 12 and played a two hour set that spanned the gamut from minimal beats (Mathias Tanzmann and Trentemoller) to funky drum tracks (Mark Williams and Davide Squillace), to some really hard, bangin’ stuff (Alex Bau and DJ Rush.) The numbers got better and I had most of the room moving at one point or another, but it was never packed by any means.

    I got off at 2 and turned it over to local jock, Derek Ramirez who really impressed me. He played a smooth, building, Detroit flavored set that was on point and truly flawless. Very much the yin to my yang, we would make a great team and I hope to work with him again in the near future.

    I left the club at 3:30, headed to Arthur’s apartment for a quick shot and then off to Brandon’s place to shoot the breeze and listen to the live PA that Arthur had just completed in anticipation of his performance at DEMF in Detroit. It was on point and so was the vodka and tonic. We left there around 5 a.m. and caught a cab back to my hotel. I slept till 1 and then headed up to Bloor Street for some more shopping and walking around. I caught a cab down to the Harbourfront Centre, and walked along the banks of Lake Ontario for a while. Around 3, Brandon picked me up and we went to dinner at a great Tex/ Mex restaurant, called Sneaky Dees on College Street. I had an outstanding breakfast burrito and a couple of tall bloody marys and we left and headed for the airport.

    Apparently there is someone with my name, from New York, that has been a bad boy. Every time (for the last 2 years) that I travel through customs, they pull me aside and grill me on where I live, what I do for work etc etc. After answering all the right questions and having my bags searched (again), I was sent through. Of course, my flight was delayed and I didn’t leave Toronto until 7 p.m. 36 hours after I left, I was back in Boston, and ready to head to bed so I could wake on Monday and get back to the real world of my day job.

    Toronto is one of my favorite places and can truly rival any city in the world. They have great food, wonderful culture, lots of different ethnic groups and all the arts, sports and points of interest you would expect in a modern, viable, metropolis. I loved it and can’t want to do it all again very soon.

  4. pauldailey
    September 3, 2009

    Cleveland Rocks!!? (originally published 1.21.06)

    Flew into Cleveland at 4:30 and Saturday afternoon and walked about a mile to get to the baggage claim. Got my bags, met up with Don, one of the promoters for the night and drove into downtown Cleveland and got checked in at the hotel.

    My friend Toad had driven up from Oxford, Ohio about 4 hours from Cleveland and we met up and headed up for a few beers. We walked right past Jacobs’s field and the Quicken arena (formerly Gund Arena) where the Cavaliers play. We caught up a bit and then headed back to the hotel to get ready for dinner.

    We headed down to the club, called Touch and dropped our gear. I set up my EFX 1000 and we decided to eat at Touch. The place was EMPTY, not slow but literally empty at 7:30 on a Saturday night. Not a good sign. The food was actually pretty good, and it was good getting to finally talk in person to Zolie and Don. They were really down to earth and we got along well, from the beginning.

    Me, Toad and Zolie left there to head to his house to pick up a few last minute pieces of gear. He had a really nice pad, with a great production studio in the basement. Full 64 track mixing board, nice monitors and a great set up for making beats.

    We then headed down to this other club (the name escapes me at the minute), a brand new spot that just opened right downtown. The place was gorgeous. LED lights on the walls and ceilings, projection screens everywhere and a really solid, EAW sound system. Unfortunately the DJ was very sub par and the crowd was MIA.

    Left there and headed out for a tour of Cleveland nightlife that should have been titled, what ifs and used to be’s. We drove by more than 25 venues that used to be good, are good a few months out of the year or are completely out of business at this point. Zolie told us “Oakenfold played there in 1995, Josh Wink used to play there every month etc.” The story was (unfortunately) a broken records and the same tour could have taken place in countless other cities in the world.

    This begs a bigger question, about what happened to all the partying that used to take place. Not even related to the dance scene, but the nightclubbing scene for all genres (aside for hip hop and pop) seems to have gone away for the most part. What are 22 year olds doing on Saturday Nights these days? Certainly not supporting local nightclubs…that’s for sure.

    Touch is really small, but a nice place. Good sounds, decent lights, nice dark atmosphere…the kind of small club that could go off under the right circumstances. Unfortunately on this night, club politics and the BS that comes from promoters not working together reared its ugly head. A group of locals decided to throw their own party with more than 15 Cleveland DJs playing that same night. Needless to say, they took a bite out of Touch’s turnout and we had less than 150 people all night. Disappointing to say the least.

    Having said that, I had fun hanging out with Zolie and Don and we are not working on a couple of events for WMC in Miami in March. They are great guys and even better hosts.

    Hope to be back in Cleveland soon, this time playing for a crowd that actually does rock.

  5. pauldailey
    September 3, 2009

    Boston to NYC to Burlington and Back (originally published 1.14.06)

    I took advantage of the long weekend and scheduled a couple of shows for January 14th and 15th.

    I left Boston at 2 p.m. on Saturday, and few down to NYC to hang out with my boy Amos and drop some records at the Café Deville. I arrived in Manhattan around 4 p.m., dropped my bags (amid a bunch of people still sleeping off their Friday night hangovers) and headed out in the rain to do some shopping.

    I stopped into Vinyl Market (241 E 10th St.) to see my friend Kazu. Kazu is a really great guy that is one of the best techno DJs in NYC and a really passionate supporter of the scene. His shop is one of the last vinyl shops in NYC, and is dedicated in large part to techno and minimal tech house. He always has great stuff and is fun to talk to. We had a couple of cans of Sapporo and talked for nearly 2 hours. I then headed off to grab a few beers and watch the beginning of the Pats/ Denver game. Unfortunately, I had to leave to get ready for dinner…but as it turns out, it was a depressing finish, so glad I missed it.

    Ended up on lower west side at a place called Miracle Grill and had an enjoyable dinner with several great friends. Amos, Rich Foster and Brianna, Jim Tremayne (my editor from DJ Times) and Emily Tan, another great writer for the magazine. Left there and headed to Café Deville to meet Gok and get after it.

    Café Deville is a really small spot in the basement, but the energy and vibe is present everywhere. A decent little sound system and a room of people up for a good time can turn any room into a party, and that is exactly what happened here. Mike Bryant was on when I walked in and was playing some really funky, bubbling tech house and minimal that had the place bouncing.

    I jumped on at 2 and dropped a filthy, gritty, electro flavored set that bordered on techno in many places. The crowd was really receptive and everyone had a great time. The drinks were flowing and at 4:30, I got off and we made our exit. A heavy snow was falling on the city, so we jumped in a cab and headed to Happy Valley for after-hours. We partied there for about 3 more hours and I got to drop a few tunes there as well.

    On the way back to Amos’ place with about 15 people, we were actually able to order a case of beer for delivery (at 8:30 on a Sunday morning….gotta love New York.) I decided to just stay away and caught a cab to LaGuardia around 9:15. Flying with ZERO sleep isn’t fun, and when I got to VT…I was beat to say the least.

    Got picked up at the airport by my great friend Jon and went to his place to chill. Instead of going out, he decided to cook me dinner and pulled out all the stops. Shrimp, stuffed mushrooms, home made sauce with spaghetti and meatballs, sausage and all the trimmings. Got a bit of sleep and headed down to Metronome for Sunday Night Mass.

    Easily my favorite smaller club, Metronome is nothing special to look at…but the vibe in there is unmatched. Justin and Ben from Nexus Artist Management have being doing this weekly for SEVEN YEARS and I am happy to say it is still going STRONG.

    Great turnout and by 12:30 the place was juiced and the dance floor was rocking. I mixed through some funky stuff early, but by 1 it was straight on techno…with the crowd just eating it up. I dropped my remix of “Necessary Evil”, and the place lost its shit. Lots of smiling faces and a great way to wrap up a LONG weekend.

    Thanks again to all my friends in NYC and VT for their hospitality and support and hope to see you all again soon.

    posted by Paul Dailey at 5:00 PM | 0 comments links to this post
    New Trip to New Haven (originally posted 12.12.05)

    I have driven by, around and through New Haven, CT for years on my way to New York City. But it wasn’t until 3 years ago that I actually pulled offer Rt 91 and ventured downtown. A friend I had made through my extensive networking at conventions and online, DJ Bill Weaver invited me to come down to Toads Place and play with him on a Saturday Night. That night I met Rob LaFrance, a young jock from New Haven that was also working at Toads.

    Since that time, Rob and I have remained friends, attended several DJ Times Expos in Atlantic City, hung out at RISE and Avalon in Boston and down at WMC in Miami and generally become good friends. I was pleased when Rob asked me to come down to his club in New Haven and play a guest set, and was looking forward to exploring the city yet again.

    We drove down and checked into the stately, New Haven Hotel. The oldest hotel in the city, it was well maintained and had a lot of character. The room was big, the lobby had an interesting lounge and restaurant and it was very centrally located.

    We got picked up by Rob and headed to Bar for some famous New Haven pizza. While not as known (or as good) as some of the other legendary spots, the pizza at Bar was solid and the atmosphere was relaxed and easy going. I met Nate, one of the other residents at Alchemy and we enjoyed a quick bite.

    After that, Rob and Nate went to the club to set up and get things started, and my boy Cooch and I headed to an Irish Pub (which shall remain unnamed) down the street. We sat at the bar, ordered a couple of pints and began what would prove to be a very strange 30 minutes. There was ZERO atmosphere and with the flat screen TVs showing figure skating and a made for TV movie, the distractions were few and far between as well. We watched as the bartender spilled a glass into the rubber mat on the bar. We then watched him proceed to take the mat, pour it back in the glass, put the liquid on ice and then serve it to someone at the end of the bar.

    Needless to say, that was our cue to pay our tab and exit. NEVER have I seen anything more disgusting…our night wasn’t starting on a good foot.

    We left and made out way to the Nikita Martini Bar, which was 180 degrees in the other direction. Very hip, with cool décor and music, great drinks and a very friendly (and great looking) staff. Every waitress and bartender was HOT and they made the vibe upbeat and fun. We will definitely be back next time we are in town.

    Alchemy is a big, old, somewhat beat up space that takes up the better part of a city block. They have reggae in one room, hip hop in another and then the lowly house lounge, upstairs. It was cold out, two weeks before Christmas and very slow.

    Rob was on first, warming things up and we met the bartenders there…that took very good care of us…all of our drinks were on the house.I got on around 11:30 and started slow, with some tech house and minimal groovers. As I slowly built things up, people started getting more and more into it.

    The harder I got (within reason), the more they danced. But since there were never more than 15 people on the floor, it was very easy to burn them out. I ended up playing a lot of my more accessible techno tracks, some remixes and a bit of classic house. It wasn’t a massively successful gig from a turnout standpoint, but the people that were there had fun and I have a couple of people that really ripped it up and gave back all the energy I gave out (thanks Gwen.)
    We went back to Nate’s place for a laid back after-party and ended up back at the hotel by 5 or so.

    I had a great time in New Haven. The people at Alchemy were really great. They put me up in a really nice room, got all my drinks and when it came time to square up at the end of the night, they were very easy to deal with and appreciative of my efforts. Unlike many promoters and club owners, they did what they said they would and were professional all the way.

    I also want to say thanks again to Rob and Nate for your hospitality and hope to be back playing again in CT in the near future.

  6. pauldailey
    September 3, 2009

    My Old Kentucy Home (originally posted 11.26.05)

    Went to Lexington, KY for Thanksgiving and got a chance to really get a feel for the place. This is a truly beautiful part of the country and the sweeping hills and enormous farms are amazing. Some of the richest people in the world have horse farms in Lexington and the buildings alone are a sight to see.

    The Lexington metro area is relatively small, but there is a lot of money concentrated in the general area and there are some gorgeous homes that are big and affordable, two words that you just won’t see in the same sentence here on the East Coast. I got a chance to go to Rupp Arena to see UK play a basketball game – WHAT A PLACE.

    Saturday Night I drove to Louisville to check in at the historic and simply stunning Seelbach Hotel. We got settled and then headed downstairs to the jazz bar in the lounge, with stiff drinks and a lot of atmosphere. Finally got to meet Sam and Eddie from Resonant Vibes and they were really great guys. Had a few more drinks, a shot (thanks Sam) and then headed across the street to 4th Street Live, a section of bars and restaurants where you get carded on the street and then are able to take drinks from one bar to another or buy drinks in the street if the weather is nice enough. It was actually a really nice night for late November, but still we settled into the Markers Mark Lounge for a few drinks before we headed over to the gig.

    Got to Main Street Lounge around 12:30 and Q Burns was throwing down a funky, eclectic house set…full of chunky beats and a ton of effects. The people in the room were digging the beats, but unfortunately there just weren’t enough of them in attendance. There was a line at the bar up the street that offered 18+ and Hip-hop (go figure), but Main Street was a bit slower than I had hoped.

    Met Lindsay and Maria (the two main promoters) and had a few tasty cocktails. I got on the decks at 2 and the room had even less people than it did when we first arrived, but I had come all this way with my music…might as well do my best and see what I could build. After about 15 minutes, more and more people started to come out of the bar area and by 2:30 or so, I had the dance floor relatively full. I started off nice and chunky with the new Trentemoller and Marc Romboy, but was determined to get my groove on and get my techno sound heard…even for 50 people in a small room in Louisville.

    As I got further into the harder beats, the people actually responded very positively and came right along with me for the ride. I played a few classics (Go from Moby and Washing Machine from Mr. Fingers) and ended the set around 3:50 with “Amber” by 311. As I packed up, I had a couple of offers to go to after parties, but with a 6:30 trip to the airport and 9 hours of travel time to get back to Boston on the agenda, we decided to call it a day.

    Thanks again to Eddie and Sam and the entire Louisville crew. Hope to do it again soon.

  7. Elke Zingone
    May 1, 2010

    To be honest, I don’t speak great English, but I believe I understood most of this. It would be good if it was in my language also. Great site anyway!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s



Paul Dailey Boston, MA 781-856-3856
Follow on
%d bloggers like this: